Update Oct 12, 10PM: A number of readers reported they have experienced issues with a previous bonus points promo of MeliaRewards. See the ‘Attention’ section for more details.
Sometimes, it might make sense to buy miles. Lufthansa Miles & More sells miles at 0,024€ a piece, which is way too expensive. They also have a buying limit of 12,000 miles per year. However, now and then, there are some great deals to buy miles.
MeliaRewards, the loyalty program of a Spanish hotel chain Melia, currently sells its points with a 30% bonus. You can buy up to 100,000 points (with 30K bonus) per account per year.
The amazing deal: You can transfer these points at a 2:1 conversion rate to Lufthansa Miles & More. So you’re basically buying miles at 0,0123€ a piece. e.g. You bought 100,000 MeliaRewards points (+30,000 bonus points) for 800€ and converted them to 65,000 miles. 800€ / 65,000 miles = 0,0123€ per mile!
Does it make sense to buy miles at this price? I would not recommend to buy miles speculatively, but there are a few scenarios in which it might make sense:
- To top off your Miles & More account for an award redemption
- To avoid buying expensive economy or business class tickets on certain dates/routes
- To combine this deal with Miles & More Business Class Mileage Bargains
- To fly Lufthansa or Swiss First Class and book more than 15 days in advance
Example: A one-way Swiss First Class flight from Brussels to Dubai (via Zurich) requires 62000 miles + 261€ in taxes & fees. You could buy 96,000 MeliaRewards points (+ 28,800 bonus) for 768€ and convert them to 62,000 M&M miles. 768€ (miles) + 261€ (taxes and fees) = 1029€. A revenue ticket for the same flight would have been 3946€.
Pic: Miles & More Award booking for Swiss First Class to Dubai
Pic: Cash booking for the same Swiss First Class flight to Dubai €3946!
- Some people have reported there’s a maximum of 100,000 points to miles transfer limit per year per MeliaRewards account. However, the first transaction of e.g. 130,000 points to miles went through. Make sure to transfer all your points to miles at once.
- When you open a MeliaRewards account, you’ll receive 2000 bonus points. DO NOT convert these points to miles as MeliaRewards T&C forbids this. Doing so might result in a complete reversion of all your points to miles conversions.
- There have been some serious issues with transfers from MeliaRewards to Miles & More earlier this year. You can read about it on Flyertalk and Vielfliegertreff (in German).